Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Suddenly Racist

Wew....what a terrible day. I just realized that sometimes I can became an ugly, hatefull racist. What I mean with racist? In my own definition, Racist is someone who thought the difference in race as a bad thing, like what I did yesterday.

I went to my campus to work on my master thesis. However, most of my plan (to work there) were ruined, since I could not meet with the network and computer administrator. I really needed to create an (UNIX) account to work in my institut's laboratory. It was a bad day. And then I logged in using my windows account. When I was working, suddenly a chinese student entered the lab room and spoke not really loud to two of his friends. Since I was concentrating on my work, I felt annoyed. In my mind, I shouted "WTF, you just came in here, disturb my concentration and speak the language I dont understand (chinese...I think). Huh..chinese!". Felt distrubed, I did not feel like to work anymore and then I decided to go home.

In halte bus (bus terminal?), I found three people talking. When I stood near them, I acknowledged their languange, its english. But when I heard them talking, I felt something weird in their conversation. Basically, they argued about the stupidity of Steve Jobs to share the codes of Mac to his rival, Bill Gates, in the beginning of PC history. OK, that's not the problem. But then again, I heard an indian (or pakistan person?) who argued really hard almost without giving any chances to his friends to talk back. I felt really annoyed with his accent (why the accent? maybe because it is very funny) and his behaviour. Then I shouted (again...only in my mind), "Indians!!!".

When I think again, I felt really bad. I threw all of those words just because my day was really bad. However, it was not a good reason to just throw all bad words and become a racist. Actually, I should also think my own condition. If in a bus, I talk with my fellow Indonesians, I think other people would also think "what kind of languange is that?" and perhaps they will also think that the Indonesian language and accent are very funny.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sighh... Indonesian... so typical... :p kekekekke... kidding bro :D

Unknown said...

Hehehehehee.....

I hope I wont do that again ^^

Ismail Habib said...

At least you're keeping them in your mind :)

Unlike a Dutch girl who impolitely shouted to me: "ni hou!" several times even though I'm not Chinese :)

Unknown said...

@habsq: I think that because that girl can not differentiate asian people. I also experienced the same thing. When I walked past some german girls, suddenly one of them said "ni hou!".

Ismail Habib said...

Of course it's fine if they just wanted to say hi, as many other people did.

Unknown said...

I thought "ni hou" means "hallo", right?